G.R.E.A.T stands for Gender-Related Education & Action Team, formerly a club run by the students of Diablo Valley College, Pleasant Hill, CA. We are now an independent student organization that seeks to provide information pertaining to the issues of gender, sexuality, and gender identity.
Among the diverse topics that we would like to address are intersexuality, sexwork, and domestic violence.
Rather than creating emotional bonds among women, sexual minorities, or gender minorities, G.R.E.A.T. emphasizes the political, academic aspects of gender in social issues such as domestic violence, intersex, sexuality, sexual orientation, sexwork, gender identity, and women/men inequality. We educate ourselves, take actions, and share information about resources for support.
- We believe in creating a space in which each of us can speak for hirself regardless of hir diverse backgrounds, and is not spoken for by others.
- We believe in making information available to a wide variety of people through translations and audio/visual materials.
- Our support is based on information-sharing, i.e. we collect information about resources for support and share it with those within the group and beyond.
- We provide no financial, stressful, oppressive, excessive, personal, or emotional support.
Our Love for Equality
We LOVE equality. And that makes us try to be as inclusive as can be. We try to be aware of the power matrix where race, class, sexuality, gender, occupation, physical ability, appearance, gender identity, ethnicity, sex, religion, and nationality all interact and stratify us people into many different positions, making things difficult for most of us. Therefore, we do not rank social problems. Discrimination against women is as problematic as discrimination against homosexuals. Also, we are aware that one can take more than one position in society, e.g. homosexual homeless people, heterosexual female DV victims, deaf immigrant transsexual people from the Middle East, etc. So, we take every single social problem seriously, as far as gender is concerned. In a nutshell, men are not our enemy, nor are heterosexuals.
Our common language is English and we use it in most activities such as discussions, but not all. Spanish, Chinese, and other languages including American Sign Language should be used, depending on the setting and target populations.
- Founded in August 2006 as a student club at Diablo Valley College, Pleasant Hill, CA.
- Disbanded as an official student club (due to paperwork issues) in February 2007.
- Re-started as an independent student organization in March 2008.
- G.R.E.A.T. Japan founded in March 2008 as a branch in Japan.
- Web Admin & Former President: Chico Masak a.k.a. Masaki
- Former Vice-President: Ash